Locations
2041 to 2064 of 2801 results
-
Baylings
Baylings Leeuwarden
-
de Drijfveer - Friendship 22 Free - Seagull
de Drijfveer - Friendship 22 Free - Seagull Akkrum
Book now
-
Sailingcenter Langweer
Sailingcenter Langweer Langweer
-
Lemmer Beach
Lemmer Beach Lemmer
-
City Hall of Sneek
City Hall of Sneek Sneek
-
Wad en Loft
Wad en Loft Pietersbierum
-
B&B Pension Perruque
B&B Pension Perruque Koudum
-
Trekkershutten Nijhuizum
Trekkershutten Nijhuizum Nijhuizum
-
Hotel Country Rose
Hotel Country Rose Joure
-
Pluktuin Easterwierrum
Pluktuin Easterwierrum Easterwierrum
-
Werf IJlst - Sinnehuske 4
Werf IJlst - Sinnehuske 4 IJlst
Book now
-
Former Courthouse
Former Courthouse
This building, now used as a shop, recalls the time when justice was administered in Kollum. It was purchased by the municipality in 1609 and has served a variety of purposes ever since. The Old Courthouse (Oude Rechthuis) played an important role during the Kollum Uprising of 1797.
The building was bought by the municipality of Kollumerland in 1609 and converted into a courthouse. It can be recognised by the statue of Lady Justice, which still watches over the street from the façade. The Rechthuis is the oldest stone building in Kollum.
Kollum was given its own courthouse because the distance between Groningen and Leeuwarden was too great to travel in a single day. The ground floor was used as an inn and even included stables for horses and cattle. To this day, the space has continued to serve a variety of purposes.
The Rechthuis played a significant role during the Kollum Uprising of 1797. In February of that year, the arrest of the Orangist supporter Abele Reitzes sparked an uprising in which a crowd stormed the courthouse in an attempt to free him. The revolt resulted in extensive damage and was harshly suppressed, with 168 people being arrested. You can learn more about these events at the statue of Jan Binnes further along this route. The prison cell in the building's basement has been preserved. From the bridge, you can still clearly see the small barred window of the former jail cell.
Kollum
-
Lutz Watervilla's - Wettervilla Trettjin
Lutz Watervilla's - Wettervilla Trettjin Balk
Book now
-
Vakantiehuis De Keet
Vakantiehuis De Keet Warten
-
Hotel de Wijnberg - Eenpersoonskamer
Hotel de Wijnberg - Eenpersoonskamer Bolsward
Book now
-
Ferron
Ferron Heerenveen
-
Music café De Vijfpoort
Music café De Vijfpoort Formerum
-
VVV Grou
VVV Grou Grou
-
Familieboten - Vienna
Familieboten - Vienna Franeker
Book now
-
Watervillapark Idskenhuizen - Lytse Lies
Watervillapark Idskenhuizen - Lytse Lies Idskenhuizen
Book now
-
It Suderstrand near Stavoren
It Suderstrand near Stavoren Stavoren
-
Bed en Breakfast Marrum
Bed en Breakfast Marrum Marrum
Sustainability info
-
Heavy shelling on Pingjum
Heavy shelling on Pingjum
After the liberation of Sneek on April 15, 1945, Canadian troops advanced to the Afsluitdijk. The Frisian resistance advised against the attack. It remembered the May days at the beginning of the war in 1940.
After the Canadians had been festively welcomed in Leeuwaren, it was important to advance quickly to Franeker to prevent the last escape option of the Germans over the Afsluitdijk and the IJsselmeer. The attack against the Afsluitdijk was launched from the southeast on 16 April, but the tanks of the Queens Own Rifles soon ran into the strong German defenses.
After that, the village of Wons was surrounded, but the Germans defended themselves very fanatically at Pingjum. There were many snipers and the Canadians were fired on from the farms. Allied fighters and artillery were deployed to break the German resistance. During the shelling, five farms went up in flames, six civilians, one Canadian and 46 Germans were killed. On April 18, 1945, the Canadians were able to report that the entire area had been cleared of enemies.
Pingjum
-
Oostmahorn Beach and Play Area
Oostmahorn Beach and Play Area Anjum