Locations
1777 to 1800 of 2779 results
-
Observeum | Museum & Observatory
Observeum | Museum & Observatory Burgum
-
SUPAway.nl
SUPAway.nl Grou
-
Wellekom Watersport - Motorjacht Escape
Wellekom Watersport - Motorjacht Escape Woudsend
Book now
-
Gates of Light
Gates of Light Kornwerderzand
-
Café-Restaurant ’t Raedhûs
Café-Restaurant ’t Raedhûs Dokkum
-
Zijda Yachting - Senna Elite
Zijda Yachting - Senna Elite Jirnsum
Book now
-
Hotel Workum - Royal kamer
Hotel Workum - Royal kamer Workum
Book now
-
Luxe Vakantie Friesland - De Finne
Luxe Vakantie Friesland - De Finne Snikzwaag
Book now
-
Lies Keramiek
Lies Keramiek
By reservation
Leeuwarden -
Oudebildtdijk Dike
Oudebildtdijk Dike Oudebildtdijk
-
Wier
Wier Wier
-
De Houtwiel Nature Reserve
De Houtwiel Nature Reserve Broeksterwâld
-
Túnkafee de Nije Trije
Túnkafee de Nije Trije
By reservation
Pingjum -
PUUR. Ice-cream & Chocolate
PUUR. Ice-cream & Chocolate Leeuwarden
-
G.J.S. | HW Yachtcharter
G.J.S. | HW Yachtcharter Grou
-
Former railway station Wijnaldum
Former railway station Wijnaldum
The former Wijnaldum railway station recalls the local railway line that connected the village with Harlingen, Leeuwarden and Stiens between 1903 and 1936. The carefully restored station building is one of the few surviving reminders of this historic railway connection.
Wijnaldum (station abbreviation: Wnd) was a stop on the former railway line between Stiens and Harlingen. Located near the hamlet of Voorrijp, the station opened on 1 October 1903. Passenger services continued until 15 May 1935.
The station building was constructed according to the NFLS Standard Type, a design used by the North Frisian Local Railway Company for several stations and halts throughout Friesland. Wijnaldum was classified as a third-class halt within this standard design.
Wijnaldum
-
Heegermeer (Hegemer Mar)
Heegermeer (Hegemer Mar) Heeg
-
it Mirnserklif near Mirns
it Mirnserklif near Mirns Mirns
-
Kartbaan Leeuwarden
Kartbaan Leeuwarden Leeuwarden
-
Waterpark Oan 'e Poel - lodges - Krûswetter Lodge 4-persoons (huisdiervrij)
Waterpark Oan 'e Poel - lodges - Krûswetter Lodge 4-persoons (huisdiervrij) Terherne
Book now
-
Heerenveen
Heerenveen Heerenveen
-
Memorial stone for Fallen Canadians
Memorial stone for Fallen Canadians
Sunday 15 April 1945, Friesland's official liberation day, was also the day Sneek welcomed the Canadian liberation forces. It had been an exciting day, and the Dutch Domestic Armed Forces (NBS) had fought quite a battle with the occupiers.
A day earlier, German troops had begun to withdraw from Sneek and the NBS had tried to hinder their retreat along the Leeuwarderweg as much as possible. Until a column of German parachute troops had entered the fray and forced the NBS to retreat.
The Waag building in the middle of the city centre was used as a weapons cache by the occupying forces during the war. To prevent it from falling into Allied hands, the fleeing troops set it on fire at around three o'clock on Sunday. Loud explosions and bangs resounded throughout the city for half an hour.
Once the enemy had left the city, the NBS operatives gathered at the HBS school for instructions and the distribution of weapons and armbands. They went into the city to round up traitors. Then, rumour had it that hundreds of German soldiers were on their way to Sneek from Lemmer. Immediately, fortifications were built at the Water gate.
Canadian units were alerted. They were now in possession of the latest defence plans for Sneek thanks to NBS intelligence and were advancing from Joure towards the town.
In the evening around half past seven, the first patrol of the Canadian infantry battalion Le régiment De La Chaudière rode into town with flame-throwers and machine guns. The German troops stayed away, and the full Canadian battalion followed.
Sneek was liberated, but freedom was not yet guaranteed as German troops tried to escape via the Afsluitdijk towards Friesland. The Canadian Regiment of the Queens Own Rifles moved through Sneek to the Afsluitdijk and fiercely fought at Wons. Six Canadian soldiers were killed. They were temporarily buried at Sneek General Cemetery. In 1946, they were reburied at the Canadian Field of Honour in Holten.
Canadian guests
While waiting to return to their homeland, hundreds of Canadian soldiers were lodged with families in Sneek for about five months. On 1 June, the Perth Regiment arrived in the town, which they temporarily renamed Stratford. They were involved in the liberation of Groningen. A committee was set up to entertain the soldiers with various activities. From dances to sailing competitions and special church services.Cordial ties developed between the liberators and the people of Sneek. And sometimes more than that. For Gordon C. Compton and Atty Bouma, one could even speak of "love at first sight". When the last soldiers return home at the end of November, Gordon decided to stay in the Netherlands. On 9 May 1946, he married Atty in Sneek. Not long after, Gordon and his "war bride" left for Canada.
Several monuments in the city recall the special bond with the Canadian military, which remains very close to this day.
Sneek
-
Carpe Diem Friesland
Carpe Diem Friesland Earnewâld
-
Herberg de Wildeman - 2 persoons appartement
Herberg de Wildeman - 2 persoons appartement Lemmer
Book now