Locations
2713 to 2736 of 2769 results
-
It Preamke Rondvaarten
It Preamke Rondvaarten Makkum
Book now
-
Hotel-Restaurant Greate Pier
Hotel-Restaurant Greate Pier Kimswerd
-
Familieboten - Pasadena
Familieboten - Pasadena Franeker
Book now
-
Tiger Bunker Complex
Tiger Bunker Complex West-Terschelling
-
Camping Flapper - Trekkershut Ús Hiem
Camping Flapper - Trekkershut Ús Hiem Gaastmeer
-
Jantje Slot Hoeve
Jantje Slot Hoeve Oosterzee
-
Sail-a-way Sneekermeer
Sail-a-way Sneekermeer Offingawier
-
Harbour Crane in Harlingen
Harbour Crane in Harlingen Harlingen
-
Hotel Workum - Standaard kamer
Hotel Workum - Standaard kamer Workum
Book now
-
REM Yachtcharter
REM Yachtcharter Heerenveen
-
B&B Hoptille
B&B Hoptille Hilaard
-
Gouden plakje
Gouden plakje Gaastmeer
Book now
-
Easterwood Hondvriendelijke Vakantiewoningen
Easterwood Hondvriendelijke Vakantiewoningen Makkinga
-
Municipality Balk
Municipality Balk Balk
-
Ichthustsjerke (Ichthuskerk gereformeerde kerk)
Ichthustsjerke (Ichthuskerk gereformeerde kerk) Heeg
-
Friesland Boating Yachtcharter - Pedro Marin 30 Ilona
Friesland Boating Yachtcharter - Pedro Marin 30 Ilona Koudum
Book now
-
Villa Waterlove
Villa Waterlove Stavoren
-
St Nicholas Church in Sint Nicolaasga
St Nicholas Church in Sint Nicolaasga Sint Nicolaasga
-
Watersportcamping de Bearshoeke
Watersportcamping de Bearshoeke Oudega (gemeente Súdwest-Fryslân)
-
B&B Zandhuizen
B&B Zandhuizen Zandhuizen
-
The Former Weigh House
The Former Weigh House
A look at old photographs reveals that the building looks even more attractive today than its predecessor. The people of Kollum have taken good care of this historic landmark. The weigh house was a public building where goods could be officially weighed. Its presence was particularly important for trade in butter and cheese.
A public weigh house in Kollum is first mentioned in the 16th century. That original building stood next to the Rechthuis (courthouse). In 1779, a new weigh house was built here on the Westerdiepswal, at the heart of the bustling waterfront. The wide entrance to the former weighing hall, where two weighing scales were once installed, can still be clearly recognised in the façade.
The pediment above the façade bears the coats of arms and names, added in 1779, of grietman (district magistrate) Martinus van Scheltinga, his deputy Focke Hijlckes Eskes, and Albert Luitjens, who served together with Eskes as church warden. The building was owned by the Dutch Reformed Church, which leased out the weigh house. In 1871 it was sold to a private owner, after which an official weighmaster appointed by the municipality supervised its operation. With the rise of the dairy industry in Friesland, the weigh house gradually lost its function. In 1895, the building was converted into a private residence.
Kollum
-
Yeb Hettinga Museum
Yeb Hettinga Museum Firdgum
-
WestCord WTC Hotel - Comfort Kamer
WestCord WTC Hotel - Comfort Kamer Leeuwarden
Book now
-
Skriezekrite Idzegea
Skriezekrite Idzegea Idzega